- Hermès delves into its archives and gives the Cape Cod a raw and almost rough hammered finished called Martelée.
- Despite its work in progress appearance, a skilful goldsmith is called upon to create this dimpled, knobbly effect on the steel case and dial in which the hand of the maker is very much in evidence.
- The effect is enhanced with a layer of translucent lacquer tinged with graduated shades of grey.
- The Cape Cod case shape is formed from two halves of the house’s iconic chaîne d’ancre on anchor chain links, that date way back to 1991 when designer Henri d’Origny was inspired by maritime hardware.
- Trust Hermès to take an overlooked and unglamorous technique and apply it to an industrial-inspired design to end up with an unexpectedly chic new Cap Cod Martelée.